- 1 large Granny Smith or other tart green apple, unpeeled
- 1 stick (4 oz.) butter, softened & divided
- 1 cup brown sugar, divided
- 2 cups chopped walnuts
- 1-1/3 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup milk
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cut the apple into 1/4" thick wedges. In DAH petite saucepan, melt 4 Tblsp. of the butter over medium heat. Add 2/3 cup brown sugar, & cook, stirring until sugar melts, 1 to 2 minutes.
2. Pour into DAH 10" pie mold & spread. Arrange apple slices in a spoke pattern starting at the center. Scatter 1/4 cup walnuts around the outside of the apples to fill in the gap at the edge of the mold.
3. In DAH stainless mixing bowl, thoroughly mix the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, & salt. In a mixing bowl, cream the remaining 4 tablespoons butter & 1/3 cup brown sugar until light & fluffy. Beat in the eggs, one at a time. Beat in the vanilla. Alternately add the dry ingredients & the milk to the mixing bowl. Add the remaining 1 cup walnuts. Do not over-mix. Spread the batter over the nuts & apples in the mold. Bake for 30 minutes. Invert onto serving plate when cooled.