- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 4 eggs
- 1 (5 ounce) pkg instant vanilla pudding mix
- 2 1/2 cups cold milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup confectioner's sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 (1 ounce) squares semisweet chocolate
- 2 tblsp butter
- 1 cup confectioner's sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2-3 tblsp hot water
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees F (220 degrees C). Place either the Éclair Tray or Large Tartlet Tray on Perforated Baking Sheet and set aside.
2. In the medium Flared Saute’ pan, combine 1/2 cup butter and 1 cup water. Bring to a rolling boil, stirring until butter melts completely, and add flour and salt. Stir vigorously with heat resistant spatula, until mixture leaves the sides of the pan and begins to form a stiff ball. NOTE: Rolling boil to the top of the pan will put air into the mixture that will help puff when baking. Remove from heat. Add eggs with yokes broken, beating well to incorporate completely.
3. With the pastry bag fitted with the large tip, pipe dough onto Éclair Tray two layers deep or spiral around the bottom of the Large Tartlet Tray two layers deep. Or spoon onto Silpain. Bake 30 to 35 minutes in the preheated oven, until hollow sounding when lightly tapped. Cool completely on Floral Cooling Rack.
4. For the filling, combine pudding mix and milk in Mixing Bowl according to package directions. In a separate bowl, beat the cream with an electric mixer until soft peaks form. Beat in 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar and 1 teaspoon vanilla. Fold whipped cream into pudding. Cut tops off of cooled pastry shells with a paring knife. Fill shells with pudding mixture and replace tops.
5. For the icing, melt the chocolate and 2 tablespoons butter in a Medium Flared Saute’ pan over low heat. Stir in 1 cup confectioners' sugar and 1 teaspoon vanilla. Stir in hot water, one half tablespoon at a time, until icing is smooth and has reached desired consistency. Remove from heat, cool slightly, and drizzle over filled Cream Puffs or Éclairs. Refrigerate until serving.