- 1 large sweet potato
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons raw honey
- 1 cup sprouted spelt flour (all purpose flour will also work)
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon himalayan sea salt
- 5 tablespoons very cold unsalted butter, cut into small cubes (I stick in the freezer)
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
1. Peel the sweet potatoes and cut into 1″ pieces. Place the sweet potato in a saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat and continue to boil until potatoes are soft, approximately 25 minutes. Drain the water and purée the potato in a food processor.
2. Measure out 3/4 cup of sweet potato purée. (The remaining sweet potato purée can be frozen for biscuits at a later date.) Mix the 3/4 cup sweet potato purée with the buttermilk & honey...chill in the refrigerator
3. Preheat oven to 415º F. In a large bowl, whisk the flours, baking powder, and the salt. Add the cold butter. Using a pastry blender, cut the butter into the flour until crumbly. Use a fork, then your hands, to add the sweet potato mixture until a soft dough is formed. 6. Turn the dough out onto Roul'Pat & knead it lightly. Roll the dough 3/4″ thick. Using a 2 5/8″ dough cutter, cut out rounds, as close together as possible. Place the rounds on a Demarle at Home Silpat. Repeat until all dough has been used. Brush the tops lightly with the melted butter.
4. Bake for 9 minutes until tops are just turning a golden brown along the edges. Remove from oven. Serve warm with extra butter and honey!!