- 1 cup confectioners sugar
- 3/4 cup almond flour
- 2 large egg whites, room temperature
- Pinch of cream of tartar
- 1/4 cup superfine sugar
- Powdered food coloring
- Fillings such as peanut butter, chocolate ganache, buttercream, seedless strawberry jam
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F and place oven rack in center position. Place Silpat® Macaron Mat on Perforated Baking Sheet and set aside. In a food processor, pulse confectioners sugar and almond flour until combined. Sift mixture once and repeat.
2. Using mixer, mix egg whites on medium speed until foamy. Add cream of tartar and mix again until soft peaks form. Reduce speed to low. Add sugar and increase speed to high and mix again until stiff peaks form, about 8 minutes. Sift flour mixture over whites and fold until mixture is smooth and shiny.
3. Separate batter and add desired food coloring. Transfer batter to Pastry Bag fitted with large plain tip. Pipe each round form, dragging pastry tip to the side of rounds rather than forming peaks. Gently tap the bottom of tray to release trapped air. Let stand for 15 minutes.
4. Reduce oven temperature to 325 degrees F. Bake until macarons are crisp and firm, about 10 minutes. Let macarons completely cool then transfer to wire rack. Sandwich 2 same-size macarons with 1 teaspoon filling. Serve immediately or stack between layers of parchment, wrap in plastic and freeze for up to 3 months.