- 3 to 4 large eggs, room temperature
- pint of cherry tomatoes, halved, drizzled with olive oil, seasoned with salt and pepper
- 8 ounces haricots verts (French green beans), stems removed
- 3-4 red, orange, and/or yellow bell peppers
- 5-6 small potatoes, boiled until fork tender, sliced in half or quartered
- 2 small cucumbers or 1 large, thinly sliced
- 1/2 head of lettuce such as bib, romaine
- 2 (3-ounce) cans of tuna, packed in oil, drained
- 5-6 anchovies, chopped in thirds
- 2 tablespoons capers
- handful of basil leaves, roughly chopped
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
1. Medium-to hard-boiled eggs: Bring a pot of water to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and carefully drop in the eggs. Cook 8 minutes for medium-boiled or 9 minutes for hard-boiled. With a slotted spoon, transfer the eggs to an ice-water bath. After a few minutes, peel. Slice in half or quarter.
2. Preparing the haricots verts: Bring a pot of water to a boil, lower to a simmer, drop in the haricots verts for 1 minute. Transfer to a ice-water bath. Drain.
3. Roasting the bell peppers: Roast the peppers on an open flame (on your gas range or bbq) until charred on all sides. Place in a paper bag for 10 to 15 minutes (to help loosen the skins). Scrape the charred skin, remove the seeds, and slice into thick strips.
4. Assembling the Salad: Arrange all ingredients in separate rows on a large serving platter; drizzle dressing over all the ingredients, season with salt and pepper, and garnish with basil before serving.